Saturday, July 12, 2008

Contentment

"But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it." 1 Timothy 6:6-7
This morning while reading in my Bible, I came across that verse. Wow what an amazing verse or verses about contentment! First of all, what is godliness? Well, my dictionary/thesaurus says that it means to be devout. So in this sense, I think it means to be a devout follower of Christ. A true follower. Anyways, Paul continues to say that godliness with contentment is great gain. Contentment: satisfaction. I love how he words this sentence.
"Godliness with contentment is great gain."

Great gain! We usually use the word 'gain' in talking about money. Such as, "I gained money from babysitting." So what a perfect place to use the word gain here. Paul uses it with contentment. Contentment, that no matter what happens, no matter if he has no food, no clothing, nothing he still has great gain because he has Christ! He has that everlasting peace and assurance! He has the hope that one day Christ will come back to take His children home! 

The second verse:
"For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it."

First he, Paul, says it wasn't from things of this world that he found great gain. For we brought nothing, nothing into this world! How true! The things of this world seem to overwhelm us and all we want is more, more, more! Yet, we didn't bring any of those things into the world and we can't, not, "We might not be able to..." no we cannot take anything out with us! So my question is, why are we (myself included) so wrapped up in the things of this world? The latest clothing, gadgets, you name it! We have true gain when we have godliness with contentment. Being content whether we have the newest whatever or not! Being content, as Paul says in verse 8:
"...if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that."

Amen! We don't need the best of those things... just food to keep us living and clothes to cover ourselves with, and we can be content with that! :) I pray that we can find our true contentment in Christ! Knowing that He is our All in All!!! All we ever need and all we ever want! :)

I thought I'd end with the chorus from a Barlowgirl song I recently heard:
"My God's enough for me
this world has nothing i need
in this whole life i've seen
my God's enough, enough for me."

1 comment:

Jenna Lyn said...

Howdy there! I must say, you are quite the blogger! I can never find time to write as much as you do; but keep up the good work friend! so how have you been doing lately, hannah marie?