Tuesday, April 08, 2008

malaria!

This past week had one word put to it: Malaria!! It was bad with a capital 'B'! Wednesday, Damarise came down with it. Poor thing though, none of us have ever had it so, we decided not to test her until her fever spiked. Well, her fever spiked and we tested her and it showed she had malaria within a minute! (Usually it should take up to 15 minutes!) So, we definitely knew she had it bad! Mom ran to the hospital to get the medicine and got her started on it right away! But it had already been in her system for a while so she definitely had it the worst! The first night she was in and out of the tub cause her fever would get so high. She was also vomiting. :( Thursday came and I felt like I had a fever so right away mom and dad tested me for malaria and sure enough, I had it too. So, off to the hospital mom went again getting medicine for me too:) Now Damarise and I were both in bed going from hot to chills. Our fevers were spiking and we were not feeling well at all! It was horrible! 
Malaria, for those of you might not know, is carried by mosquitos. Once a mosquito carrying malaria bites you it takes 10-14 days until you start to show signs of the malaria. Then it's the medicine fighting off the malaria. And it isn't pretty! Lots of spiking fevers, really bad chills (really bad! hehe, it felt like my brain was gonna fall out!), headaches, body aches, coughing and Damarise had vomiting. Anyways, it wasn't fun, and not something I'd really wanna have again, although, hehe it's silly to say, but I do feel more like an MK saying I've had malaria:P tee hee hee:) 
As for now, we are both on the mend. Malaria kills your red blood cells, so we are taking iron and resting and totally depleted of energy:(  It's been tough! I was cleaning the room today and was on one lil' book shelf and after I had tidied it up I was so worn out I fell asleep right there on the floor for 2 hours!  Oops! 
Anyways, Andrew has it now:( Poor little guy, his tiny body can't handle it! But so far he's been pretty strong! So that is good!!! We would appreciate prayer for him though! Thank you!!!
And, thanks to everyone who did know about the malaria and was praying for us!!!! It was an encouragement to know that so many people were praying for us! Thank you! 

No comments: