Tuesday, November 06, 2012

A Month of Thanksgiving: Day 6

Oh boy! Today was quite an exciting day and a day chocked full of thanksgiving.

It began by waking up to the rain pattering down on the roof. Waking up to rain is soothing. But despite the soothing rain, my stomach was in a mess of knots. Today was my day to teach a lesson in my fifth grade classroom and be observed by my professor. My professor is so nice, my cooperating teacher is very sweet, and my students are very respectful – but even with this knowledge I was a nervous wreck.

I got to school and watched as the clock ticked closer and closer to 9:00am. Before I knew it, Dr. Pennington was in my classroom and I was up front. Things got underway and, all in all, I think it went well. I still have so much to learn! But it was not as nerve racking as I thought it would be. I was very relieved and encouraged after talking with Dr. Pennington. She gave me good advice and great insight.

Today I am thankful that I have the privilege to be in the school where I am and to be able to teach a lesson and get wonderful feedback.

When I got back home I went out and voted! Because I was too young to vote in the last presidential election, this is my first time voting. I am a registered Georgia voter now, so I went to the nearest poll and placed my vote. I felt grown-up and responsible. I expected there to be gobs of people lined up waiting to vote. Instead it was a near empty shack that was dead silent. I placed my vote and semi-expected a crowd to come out and cheer me on. Instead, I was handed a sticker and wished a happy day. Regardless of the lack of enthusiasm within the voting arena, it was still an exciting time.

Today I'm thankful for the freedom that we have in our country. I know a lot of countries don't have the freedom to vote. I'm thankful that we can have a voice in our country. And I'm thankful that God is sovereign and that no matter who becomes our next president, God is still in control. 

No comments: