Sunday, December 25, 2011

"I had Christmas down in Africa..."

A South African missionary family here in Zambia invited our family and a Zambian family over to sing carols together on Christmas Eve. This South African family's grandparents from Holland were also visiting. Four different nationalities were represented last night – Dutch, Afrikaans, American, and Zambian. But this diverse group was gathered together to sing and read about the birth of our Saviour. Not a different Saviour for each nationality, but one Saviour of all!

We sang carols – some familiar, some to different tunes, and some new – and as I sat there looking around the room I couldn't help but get excited for heaven! I cannot wait to be gathered with thousands of people from every tribe, tongue, and nation praising our God – falling before His throne in worship and admiration because He alone is worthy!

This also made me thankful for Christmas. That God became flesh and dwelt among us. He came to save that which was lost, not one particular people group, but all those who He had chosen before the foundation of the world.

This Christmas I am thankful that God sent His only begotten Son into the world to save us. I'm thankful that we got to celebrate Christmas and worship Christ this morning with hundreds of believers at Lusaka Baptist Church in Zambia. And I'm thankful that one day, believers from around the world will be singing praises before the throne of God! I can't wait!

No comments: