Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Resting in Him

You know those days when it just feels like everything overwhelming suddenly hits you? Well, that was my Monday. I think it finally sank in on Sunday that my family is far, far away. Damarise and I had our weekly Skype call with them on Sunday. After multiple delays, fuzzy internet connection, and the “Hello? Can you hear me now?”’s, we got to talk for a bit.

I realized that it’s been hard to not be able to pick up the phone at random moments of the day to talk to them and tell them the little details of my life. They are no longer close to the same time zone, and we can’t contact them via phone. All of that, plus two tests and a paper conveniently due on Monday, just hit me and felt overwhelming.

So, Monday afternoon, in between tests, I sat down and wrote out my thoughts in a poem. Not sure if that came about because we are studying poetry in class or just cause. But, either way that is the way my thoughts came out, and I thought I'd share it with you all.


The tears at bay,
The heart calm.
One phone call melted it all.

Seeing their faces,
Hearing them laugh,
My heart hurt, the dam burst.

The tears fell.
My voice choked up.
Will it get easier, pain subside?

Peace He promised.
Peace He gives.
And I am resting solely in Him.

An ocean away,
Or merely a street,
God is faithful, them will He keep.

Resting, Resting,
In His strong arms.
He is my strength, the Lord my God.


And oh! It has been wonderful to rest in the peace of God. Monday ended, two tests and a paper were behind me, and God was, is, and always will remain faithful. By the end of Monday God had given me a peace and joy that only He can give. A peace that I can trust in Him, and He has my family where He wants them. (What better place to be in?) And a joy that I can rest in Him even when life seems overwhelming because He is so much bigger than life itself. He is the one who created the universe. He is the one who controls the lighting and the rain. And oh! What a joy to trust in Him!

And so I end this post, not in sorrow or overwhelming worry, but in joy and peace, praising God from whom all blessings flow.

"Great is the Lord, and highly to be praised, and His greatness is unsearchable." –Psalm 145:3

No comments: