*written yesterday, posted today*
Fog is covering Covenant College's campus right now, wrapping us up in a giant blanket of grey fluffiness. The fog isn't alone, it's come with chilling temperatures and rain. Ah, the slow changing of seasons, going from cool to cold.
I'm done with my homework (for now) and am sitting on the Chapel Department's couch. The heater is on warming up the chilly room. My cup, which did have tea in it, is now sitting next to me, empty. And I am sitting here with thoughts floating around in my head waiting to be typed out into a blog post.
So, here it goes–thoughts from the Traveling Banana on a foggy Wednesday afternoon.
The first thought, is actually a quote. On Monday, we had some people from Wycliffe share in my English Syntax class. They shared about the importance of language and syntax and talked about translating the Bible. While talking they shared this quote with us:
"There is no such thing as a word in one language that has a perfect equivalent in another language."
Ah! So true. I remember trying to communicate things in Portuguese to my friend in Mozambique and thinking, "There just isn't a word that communicates the same thing as (for example) lickity split." So, yes, that quote, I thought, was true.
Another thing I've been thinking about lately is thankfulness. Thanksgiving is coming up this month and as I've been thinking about that I've realized just how much I have to be thankful for. So for the rest of this post I'll highlight a few things that I've been thankful for in just this month (yes, I know, this month just started :) ).
- My job. I honestly have no idea how I got blessed with such an amazing job except that God gave it to me! I was signed up to be cleaning the library again, and I was excited about it :) Then, a week before school began, I was told I would be working in the Chapel Department. It has been great! I've gotten to learn new things, I've enjoyed working with everyone in the Chapel Department, and I love getting together every Wednesday to pray with everyone who works in the Chapel Department. It's been an encouraging job, and one that fits in perfectly with my hectic class schedule. I'm so thankful to God for it!
- Textfree. :) It's an app ( there's an app for that ;) ) , and although I don't text much, it is helpful/nice :) Like the other morning when I was up getting ready for the day, Dad and I texted the whole time :) It was a great start to my morning.
- My family. I love them! I love hearing from them whether it's through text, Facebook, or phone calls :) They're great! I got to talk to Mom and Andrew last night for a few hours... it was great!
- My advisor. She is amazing! I met with her last week to talk about my schedule for next semester. She has everything planned out for me. It is wonderful, and made my life a whole lot easier when I went to register for classes this morning.
- Getting to be here at Covenant College. I'm so thankful that God has allowed me to be here studying. I love it here. I love learning, I love the professors, I love my friends, and I love all the opportunities there are everyday to talk with fellow believers about Christ! It's wonderful! And I'm SO thankful!
There you have it, my definitely-not-exhaustive list of things I'm thankful for in this month :) There are many more, but it is time to scidaddle off to another class.
Until next time, toodle loo.