Monday, January 18, 2010

A Memorable Day.

January 18th. It's just a date that sounds like any other date to most people. A normal number on a calendar. A normal day like any other midJanuary day. Yet to me this date is a date that reminds me of God's great love, mercy and grace.

Three years ago today, me and my four siblings were sitting around a table with the Woodrow's five kids. It was a hot Mozambican afternoon and we were, for the most part, done with school for the day. We were all at the Woodrow's house because Mom and Dad had gone to Lolo land to visit some coworkers. Which brings me back to where we were, sitting around a table writing out our "Woodbull Document". A document that "officially" declared we were family. We all wanted to become siblings so why not adopt each other? And in the process of adoption we all needed to have the same last name. Woodbull! :) It was a spur of the moment idea, and maybe it seemed short lived at the time, but we ran with it :) That day 3 years ago God blessed me SO abundantly! He gave me 5 new siblings to add to my already amazing 4 siblings, giving me a total of 9 wonderfully great siblings! Who knew that that one day would spark a wonderful family relationship between all of us. In the past three years we have grown as friends, siblings and brothers and sisters in Christ. It has most definitely been some of the greatest three years of my life! I am SO thankful for each and everyone of them. Words just can't describe how much they all mean to me! I love them so much!


The Woodbull Document.

January 18th. We became Woodbulls on January 18th, 2007. 2008 we celebrated one year together. January 18th, 2009, we planned to celebrate our 2nd year as family, but God had other plans. January 18th, 2009 was going to be another day that would spark a huge reminder in my mind of what a great, loving, powerful and merciful God we serve.

January 18th, 2009. Ian had malaria. And what we thought would be the normal malaria case turned out to be more than any of us could have ever dreamed of. I still remember that day like it was yesterday. I went to bed January 17th a little bummed that Ian was still sick so we couldn't have a party in celebration of our 2nd year Woodbull anniversary. When I woke up the next morning I read a message on Damarise's phone from Sarah Beth saying that she would be praying for Ian as he was in the clinic. The clinic?! My mind whirred. Why would Ian be in the clinic?! We never ever went to the Dr.'s unless something major was wrong. And much to my dismay, something major was wrong. Ian was out of it all day. We (us kids) went down to visit Ian twice during the day. Both times was heart wrenching. All we could hear was Ian moaning. As the day turned to night, Ian's life began to turn to death. There were times when we didn't think he was going to make it. I don't think in all my life I have ever cried as much as I did on that Sunday last year. A Sunday that was supposed to be full of joy and merriment turned into one of the scariest days of my life. We four kids stayed up at our house crying and praying. Around 8pm the Woodrow four came over to comfort us. They, along with some other friends, wept, prayed and encouraged us all night long. When morning dawned Ian was evacuated down to South Africa.


I'm sure you all know the rest of the story. We went through a little less than a week without any signs that Ian would live. And if he did live, he would most assuredly have sever brain damage. Yet God in all of His infinite grace woke Ian from the coma, and not only that, He healed him completely! Ian didn't even have signs of brain damage. He was the same little brother that I had known before! Only God could have done something SO wonderful, powerful and awesome!

And that, that is why January 18th is such a memorable day full of God's love! It's a day that I got 5 new siblings and a day that Ian's miracle began. And the only way I can adequately say what January 18th means to me is to say, "To God belongs all praise, thanks and glory for all He has done in my life!"

(if you don't know the rest of Ian's story click here.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, Hannah, that day surely was memorable. :) I love reading your updates about your Woodbull life and your "family" is SO blessed! Love,
Elsa ;)

greenehouse2003 said...

Dear Hannah--how I miss your posts to the Woodbull blog!! I am remembering God's sweet faithfulness towards all of you and especially towards Ian. praising Him today as I remember His faithfulness in all our lives!!!
Warmly
Mrs Greene