Saturday, November 01, 2008

Applying for College


Have you ever listened to a song and thought, "Oh, that sounds so pretty! I want to learn in on the piano (or whatever other instrument)." It sounds easy and simple when you listen to it, but when your fingers try to play it everything turns out a flop and you realize it is actually much harder than you thought it would be. That's how everything seems right now. 

Applying to college is way different and slightly harder than I ever imagined it would be. About a year ago my idea of getting into a college was that I just had to ask if I could go to such-and-such a college, that college would welcome me in, I hoped, and that would be that. Well, I was a little unaware of all that awaited me. First the SAT, that was a shocker. "What?! I have to take a big test before I try to apply to a college?" Then the actual applying. Do you know how many essays have to be written to apply to college? It reminds me of the Bible story about Elijah and the jars of oil that never ran empty. (1 Kings 17:7-16) Yep, that's how the essays seem, like a never ending process. 

Now, I can't say that all of this is totally bad. Yes, the SAT, essays and whatnots are hard, and it is a loong process, but God has been using it to teach me (again) that I cannot do anything on my own. It is Christ Who works in and through me. And it is He and Him alone Who is helping me get through all of this. 

2 Corinthians 12:9-10:
"But He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 

And speaking of all of this, I should go finish writing one of the many essays. :) 

No comments: