Thursday, August 07, 2008

Government Fun

I love history! Not sure why, but I love reading about what went on in the past. So of course, I love doing that subject in school. But this year, when Mom said that we would be doing Government instead, I wasn't to thrilled. Then I started. It is so amazing, fun and interesting. And because it is all of that, I thought I'd share some of the interesting stuff.

1. Have you ever heard of President Rice Atchison a.k.a The President Who Slept For His Term? I know I never had. President Atchison was President for one day. The problem: he didn't even know it! Here's what my Government book says about it:
"According to law at that time, if neither a President nor a Vice President was in office, the president pro tem of the Senate automatically became Chief Executive.

On March 4, 1849, President James K. Polk's term ended, but the newly elected Zachary Taylor could not be sworn into office because it was a Sunday. So, for that one day, Atchison was President. He did not learn that he had attained the highest governmental office until several months later, when he realized he had napped through much of his term!"

2. Who was America's first President? This is easy, right? George Washington is probably your guess. But, (I was shocked too!) that is wrong! 
"John Hanson, Maryland's delegate to the Continental Congress, became the first President on November 5, 1781. Congress officially elected him to the office of "President of the United States in Congress Assembled," and he served in that office for one year."

3.
The elections. I never really knew that much about what happened when they elected another President. Of course the last time a new President was elected I was only eight.(When President Bush was re-elected back into office we weren't in the States anyways.)  So, this time it's been neat to follow what's happening through the news, and then to read, in Government, about what really goes on during the primaries etc. It's been fun to learn! And definitely makes you want to get involved and vote. But, I'll have to wait a couple of years for that happen. 

Anyways, there are a few fun things that I have learned. I'm sure there are loads more, but I can't think of them right now, so I'll end with a quote from George Washington:
"It is impossible to rightly govern... without God and the Bible."

No comments: