Sunday, July 20, 2008

Rainy day, Hot cup of tea, and Random thoughts...

I'm sitting here, typing out my thoughts of today and other random things that have happened, with a cup of hot chai tea in hand and a cold, slightly rainy day blowing in from outside my window. Who would have thought it could get cold here in Mozambique? So cold, in fact, that we are snuggling under blankets, wearing sweaters and socks, and, my favourite, sipping hot tea. I know I never imagined it could get this cold, but I'm not complaining. I love the cold weather! It's a lot nicer to snuggle up and get warm than it is to un-snuggle (?) and try and cool down! ... Whoops, I've finished my cup of tea and haven't typed out any of what I was originally on here to write. So, now for those thoughts and random things of today...

This morning, in my quiet time, I started reading through this book. Sorry, the title is rather long to type out ;). Anyways, today's part was talking about self-control. The verse they gave to meditate on was Proverbs 25:28:
"Like a city whose walls are broken down is a man who lacks self-control."

So, here are my thoughts on this verse. First off it's a metaphor. A man is like the city and self-control is the wall. What do walls do for a city? They defend the city. The walls keep things out of the city, usually things that will harm the city. If we (the city) don't have self control (the wall) what will happen? Anything tempting us can and will "break" into our lives. Galatians 5:23 says that one of the fruits of the Spirit is self-control. If we truly are followers of Christ, if the Spirit is working in and through us then we will have self-control. Our wall will be up guarding our hearts against the lies, deception and sin of this world. But we can't do it alone. We need Christ's help. We need to be beseeching Him for help to have self-control and fight off whatever tempts us. For
"I can everything through Him who gives me strength."-Philippians 4:13

So, there was just a little bit of what I got out of that verse. I'm sure there is a lot more to be had, and I would love to hear some of your thoughts on it! 

Now for some of what I did today:
This morning we went to church. There weren't very many people there because most of the congregation are in another city helping out with... I'm not really sure what. But, church went well. I think. I couldn't understand any of the sermon. [ :( ] 
After church everyone went to give condolences to a guy in the church whose wife just passed away. It was sad to hear about, but very neat to see the Body of Christ working together, going over to his house to comfort him and pray with him. It was a neat experience. The church did the same for us when Papa had died and right before Nana passed away.  It's very comforting and special. 

Now I am home. Not under my blanket anymore, no more sweater, or socks, (guess the tea warmed me up.) Speaking of tea I have an empty cup here that I should go wash. So, until I update next... T.T.F.N- Ta Ta For Now. ;)

No comments: