Monday, March 17, 2008

Great is Thy Faithfulness!


"Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion;
therefore I will wait for him."
-Lamentations 3:22-24

The other day when I was playing,"Great is Thy Faithfulness" on the piano, I decided to look up where the verse was, and what the verses around it were. These 3 verses have been really encouraging to me lately. First in October-November Dad was in MIssouri, visitng with Papa before he died. December-January he was back there again for Papa's funeral, and now this past month mom has been in NY for the funeral of her mom. It has been a hard time on all of us! I think it is the hardest on Mom and Dad being seperate from each other and having to deal with the death of a parent. It's taken it's toll on all of us kids too though. All that to say, that when I came across this verse the other day, it was very comforting.

Verse 22- "Becuase of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail." Everything that has been going on the last couple of months has made us feel overwhelmed, and yet we aren't consumed by everything that is happening. Why? Because of the Lord's great love!! It's only becuase of His love and comfort that we can find a solace during all this. "... For His compassions never fail." Compassion: care, concern, mercy, love. God's compassions, His love, His care for us, they NEVER fail! And I can testify to that! If His compassion did fail, where would we be? If He had no care or love, or mercy, we probably wouldn't be saved. He probably never would have sent His Son to die for us to free us from the bondage of our sin. This verse is true! His compassions have never failed and will never fail!

Verse 23- "They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." His compassions are new every morning! Every morning when we rise out of bed we are enveloped in His everlasting love! Great, GREAT, is Your faithfulness.... Your steadfastness, Your love that never wavers. God is faithful! Even in the midst of, what we think to be, the hardest of times, He is there showering us with love renewing it every morning! Great is Your faithfulness!

Verse 24-"I say to myself, 'The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.'" This verse ties everything in. In verse 22 we were showed that God's compassions never fail, and it's only becuase of His love that the major and even the petty things that we go through don't expend us. Verse 23, His compassions are new every morning. God's faithfulness is Great! Now this verse, "....'The Lord is my portion;..." The Lord is all we need! We don't need anything else. The Lord is our portion! "...'Therefore I will wait for Him." Wait is to desire, to long for, to yearn. If the Lord is all we need, all we want, we will be yearning for Him! We should be desiring Him above all else. Craving His Word and wanting to learn more and more about Him! When trials and tribulations surround us, it is encouraging to know that God is caring for us. He's already planned out every step of the way, and all we need to do is trust Him and yearn after Him!

I'm sure there's loads more that can be pulled out of these verses, but this is just a little that I decided to post:) It has been a huge encouragement to me these last couple of days. It's also shown me what a loving God we serve. That He would renew His compassions every morning, that He loves us so much, that the trials we are going through do not consume us. Because of Him, I can say wholeheartedly, "Great is Thy Faithfulness!"

No comments: